Prof. Dirk Bergemann, PhD
Member of the International Faculty
Douglass and Marion Campbell Professor of Economics and Professor of Computer Science, Yale University
Dirk Bergemann is Douglass and Marion Campbell Professor of Economics at Yale University. He has secondary appointments as Professor of Computer Science at the School of Engineering and Professor of Finance at the School of Management.
He received his Ph.D. in Economics from the University of Pennsylvania in 1994. He joined Yale in 1995 as an assistant professor, having previously served as a faculty member at Princeton University. He has been affiliated with the Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics at Yale since 1996 and a fellow of the Econometric Society since 2007.
Dirk Bergemann was Chair of the Department of Economics from 2013-2019 and Co-Editor of Econometrica from 2014-2018. He was recently appointed as Co-Editor of American Economic Review: Insights, 2020. His research is in the area of game theory, contract theory, venture capital and market design. His most recent work is in the area of dynamic mechanism design and dynamic pricing, robust mechanism design, and information design. His research has been supported by grants from the National Science Foundation, the Alfred P. Sloan Research Fellowship, Google Faculty Fellow and the German National Science Foundation
- "Revenue Guarantee Equivalence", American Economic Review, 2019, 109, 1911-1929, with Ben Brooks and Stephen Morris
- "Information Design: A Unified Perspective", Journal of Economic Literature, 2019, 57, 44-95, with Stephen Morris
- "The Design and Price of Information", American Economic Review, 2018, 108, 1-45, with Alessandro Bonatti and Alex Smolin
- "First Price Auctions with General Information Structures: Implications for Bidding and Revenue", Econometrica, 2017, 85, 107-143, with Benjamin Brooks and Stephen Morris
- "The Limits of Price Discrimination", American Economic Review, 2015, 105, 921-957, with Benjamin Brooks and Stephen Morris.
Contribution to the KPA II:
Dirk Bergemann is a leading expert in auction and mechanism design, with a focus on dynamic pricing, robust mechanism design, and information design. His theoretical expertise wonderfully complements our behavioral economics and market design group in both, the Center of Excellence C‐SEB and the Cluster of Excellence ECONtribute. Getting Dirk Bergemann on board of our International Faculty program allows a fruitful exchange of ideas regarding research projects that extend the application of theory to address major challenges in actual markets.