skip to content

Insurances, City Registration, Bank Account


1) City Registration

Registration at the Residents' Registration Office

When you move to Cologne you have to get registered with the as a Cologne Citizen at one of the cities´ service centres when having moved into your apartment. When you move to Cologne from a foreign Country you only need to register if you are staying longer than three months. At the Residents' Registration Office you will receive a "Meldebescheinigung". This is a paper confirming that you have registered. You will need this offical proof of registration if you wish to /apply for a residence permit (if your visa does not cover your entire stay e.g.) or open a bank account. Once you have registered you will also be receiving a tax ID (Steuer ID) via postal mail. 

For more details on the registration process, please follow the instructions provided in this information document: 

2) Bank account

In Germany it is common to pay smaller sums in cash. Apart from cash, debit and credit cards are usually accepted. If you are staying in Germany for an extended period, are receiving a regular salary or fellowship and have to pay rent, it is a good idea to open a current account at a bank at the earliest opportunity. You can open a current account at any bank, the nearest ones are located at Zülpicher Straße, Dürener Straße and Luxemburger Straße.