skip to content

Finding accomodation in Cologne is difficult! Find out about the housing situation as early as possible on our websites and get in touch with students from Cologne.

Application procedure for Non-EU-Citizens with indirect University Entrance Qualification

Studienstart International plus

The following application procedure is applicable to Non-EU-citizens.

Exception: Non-EU/EEA citizens who have the same admission status as Germans or EU/EEA citizens cannot apply for the programme Studienstart International plus. You would have to attend a regular preparatory college (Studienkolleg). You are holding a university entrance qualification for German higher education institutions (EU/EEA secondary school or university degree). OR: You are resident in Germany and are married to a German or EU/EEA national (also applies to registered civil partnerships) or can prove a direct lineal relationship with an EU/EEA national resident in Germany (Artikel 2 Nr. 2 der Richtlinie 2004/38/EG des Europäischen Parlaments und des Rates vom 29. April 2004).

If your secondary school leaving certificate is not recognized in Germany as a general or subject-specific entrance qualification, we offer you an alternative procedure to gain admission. You may apply for the University of Cologne Entrance Exam (in German: the so called Zugangsprüfung).

Whether your secondary school leaving certificate is recognized in Germany and conforms to the German university entrance qualification can be checked here:

Please note: Applications are only possible with a valid TestAS certificate.