International Prospective Master Students
Range of Studies
The University of Cologne offers:
1. Can I do my masters at the University of Cologne if I have foreign bachelor's degree?
2. How and where can I find out if my foreign bachelor's degree qualifies me for my desired master's programme at the University of Cologne?
3. What level of German should I possess to apply for a master's programme at the University of Cologne?
Uni-assist e.V. is the "work and service center for international students’ applications". Uni-assist evaluates master applications for the University of Cologne from applicants who have obtained a foreign university degree.
For all master’s degree programs, you need a preliminary review documentation (VPD) to apply.
Please note the two-stage application process!
1. Request a preliminary review documentation (VPD) from uni-assist
Processing time 3 - 4 weeks. Please apply for the VPD as early as possible before the application deadline at the UoC.
2. Application via the application portal of the UoC Klips 2.0 from June 20212.
Deadline W2021/22: 31.7.2021
In the application procedure for the winter semester 2021/22, all documents can also be uploaded to uni-assist and KLIPS without being certified. After enrolment, we reserve the right to request random certifications.
(Attention: Exceptions are the master’s programs of the Faculty of Economics and Social Science where the evaluation continues to take place in the standard procedure. For that, you only apply via uni-assist and not in the UoC application portal!)
In addition to an online application at the UoC, you must request the VPD directly from uni-assist. When applying for a master’s degree, the VPD indicates whether you meet the formal requirements for a master’s degree at the UoC. After your documents have been checked by uni-assist and you have received the result (VPD), create an online application in the UoC Klips 2.0 application portal.
An application to the UoC is only possible with a valid VPD. The application for preliminary review documentation (VPD) at uni-assist alone does not count as an application for a degree program at the UoC.
1. Who has to request the preliminary review documentation (VPD) from uni-assist?
2. Who does not have to request the preliminary review examination documentation (VPD) from uni-assist?
3. Process of the application process with VPD
How do I request the preliminary review documentation (VPD):
How do I request the preliminary review documentation?
Is there a request deadline for the VPD?
Which documents do I have to submit to uni-assist?
How long is my preliminary review documentation valid for an application to the UoC?
Organise your Stay in Cologne
Costs & Financing
Accommodation for International Students
International Student Associations
Forms for International Students
Your Contact Persons at the International Office:
Application, Admission, Enrolment
Christina Boland & Henrike Bassenge
For e-mail enquiries please use our contact form.
Tuesdays and thursdays 10 - 12:30 am