Information on the coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2)
Here you will find information provided by the Rectorate of the University of Cologne on current measures taken in regard to the coronavirus ( SARS CoV-2 ). This page is updated regularly.
The Rectorate urges you to take a reasonable approach to the current situation and to be sensible and non-discriminatory when addressing the topic and dealing with each other.
The hygiene and infection protection measures for the winter semester 2020/21 are laid down in the Hygiene and Protection Directive of the University of Cologne.
Measures to contain the pandemic (November 2020)
Information for Students and Faculty
Information for Employees
Changes as of 6 November 2020, 9 a.m.
Changes as of 30 October September 2020, 3 p.m.
Changes as of 7 October 2020, 10 a.m.
The University is taking measures to reduce the risk of infections
The University of Cologne actively supports the measures adopted by the federal and state governments for the absolutely necessary containment of the again exponentially spreading coronavirus infections.
Until end of November
- teaching should – whenever possible – only be carried out virtually. This does not include examinations and internships that require physical presence
- work in research and administration should continue. If possible, this should be carried out from home. Leisure activities such as university sports, music rehearsals, or drama are not possible,
- the lending operations of libraries should continue. Workstations are no longer available for the time being.
- In all buildings used by the University, a mouth-and-nose cover must be worn and the minimum safety distances must be observed. Exceptions are possible under strictly limited conditions for individual classroom teaching events.
- Working from home is the rule until further notice, unless there are official reasons speaking against it. Working on campus is permitted to the extent that it is necessary for official reasons and compliance with the Hygiene and Protection Directive is guaranteed.
- For each occasion of a person’s presence at the University, the legal regulations for contact tracing according to Section 2a of the Corona Protection Ordinance must be observed.
- The Hygiene and Protection Directive applies to all planned face-to-face events as well as working in the presence of others.
The hygiene and infection prevention measures of the University of Cologne apply to all planned face-to-face events as well as working on campus.
- The university premises are reserved for attendance examinations, classroom teaching and other events required for various official purposes until the end of the winter semester (31 March 2021). Until then, no rooms within the University can be made available for other face-to-face events (especially those with external participants, e.g. conferences, meetings, workshops).
- House bans apply to reduce the risk of infection.
- Business trips and excursions within Germany can be approved by the Dean or the management of the central institution. Business trips and excursions abroad will not be approved until further notice. The Dean or the head of the central institution will decide on exceptions. The Chancellor decides for all cases in the central administration.
The University has set up an information office for students, faculty, and staff. It can be reached via the following e-mail address: