Schmittmann Wahlen Foundation Grants Two Year-Doctoral Scholarship
As in previous years, in 2020 the University of Cologne, together with the Schmittmann Wahlen Foundation, awards one doctoral stipend. The scholarship is granted to honor the memory of the former university professor Benedikt Schmittmann (1872-1939). Information on the vitae of Benedikt and Helene Schmittmann can be found at www.schmittmann-wahlen-stiftung.de/die-stifter (in German).
Who can apply?
All graduates of the University of Cologne who perform above average in academics are eligible to apply. The foundation aims to promote socially committed, unconventional thinkers with a profound interest in political and societal matters. Thus, social activity and critical thinking will be important criteria in the selection process, together with financial need.
Amount and duration of the scholarship
1.500 Euros per month for a period of two years beginning February 1st, 2021.
Candidates may not apply directly, but must be nominated by the University of Cologne professor who has agreed to supervise the candidate’s doctoral dissertation.
Proposals must be submitted by August 23th, 2020 to the University of Cologne, Personalentwicklung Wissenschaft, Albertus Magnus Platz, 50923 Köln or via e-mail to sw-stipendiumverw.uni-koeln.de
Following documents must be submitted:
- A curriculum vitae of the candidate
- Overview of social and other activities besides school and university (if available with corresponding certificates)
- Exposé of the planned work with schedule
- Copy of the school leaving certificate as well as the degree certificates
- A statement about the dissertation project by the prospective supervisor
- Brief description of the financial support requirements (overview of the financial situation: How was the study financed? What funds are available on a regular basis?)
- The completed application form for the doctoral scholarship
The successful candidate will be selected by a committee consisting of the Rector of the University of Cologne (Chair), the Vice-Rector for Academic Staff, two members of the Executive Board of the Schmittmann Wahlen Foundation, the Deans or Vice Deans of the Faculties and the Speaker of the Albertus Magnus Center (AMC).
For further information or if you have any questions, please contact the Academic Staff Development Department.
Phone +49 (0) 221/470-3104
Further information on the Schmittmann Wahlen Foundation can be found at
www.Schmittmann-Wahlen-Stiftung.de (in German)